Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Jewish Winter Holidays

Happy Hanukkah!

I hope you all are enjoying the festival of lights. As I was working Friday night, I set my alarm for sunset time (according to the Boston Globe) so that I could know the INSTANT the celebration started. I have big plans for my first post-baccalaureate Hanukkah and NOBODY is going to ruin them come Hell (in which Jewish people don't believe) or high water (which Moses could part- so I guess I'm all set!)

I brought my Goodwill-purchased menorah- $2.99- to my boyfriend's where we made a traditional kosher-dairy meal. I made a porcini mushroom soup to serve with lox over latkes with a horseradish whipped cream. We lit the first candle of the menorah while I butchered the blessing that I had memorized from a Barenaked Ladies song. His fan was on, so the candles burned down in about 20 minutes, just enough time to eat, in which the delicious meal was consumed quickly resulting with me lying on the floor from oil overload. The remainder of the weekend was filled with frying and sauteeing everything under the umbrella of Hanukkah celebration... fine by me.

I'm not Jewish. Neither is he. BUT, I did ask him to alert me the instant my overenthusiasm for Jewish holidays borders insincerity.



No comments:

Post a Comment