Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Crunch Time

I wasn't in the Christmas spirit. I think I maxed out my holiday enjoyment over Hanukkah (and what a fantastic Hanukkah it was!) I realized about three days ago that I'm not excited for Christmas. Maybe it's because I was so behind on gift-buying? that I haven't yet written a Season's Greetings card? or that I'm just scrooging out this year. Why the broken-down sleigh in my heart?

Today I figured it out. It's the freaking dancing Santa at work over which the children crap their pants. They walk up to the desk, push that flippin' button (which also pushes my button), and Santa proceeds to dance, twirl a lasso, and sing a Christmas edition of "Rawhide." As a pescetarian, I take offense. My ears bleed as I sing along to:
"Rolling, Rolling Rolling
Keep them reindeer rolling
Rolling rolling rolling toniiiiiight..."

I cured my Christmas woes last night by finishing my father's shopping for my mother. This way she gets something that will match (Tony is colorblind) and I get the miles on my credit card. My sister and I went to the mall- which still had the same amount of highschoolers as any given Friday. WTF are you all doing here on a school night? It is crunch time, you're just wasted space right now.

So we made our final purchases for Ellen. We also picked up a candle for my sister and a scarf for me as a kickback from Tony for such a wonderful job we did. We already wrapped everything (including the kickbacks) and watched Love Actually. I'm now 'all teams go' for Christmas.

Son of a Bitch!

I'm 8 rows into the knit part gift for my boyfriend and I planned on having it finished by tomorrow. It's like I'm back in college and I'm just sitting down to the 8-page research paper in Spanish that is due in 13 hours. I lit a zen candle, I filled my nalgene, I've got plenty of hand lotion (Nanny keeps the heat high and my skin is brittle.... mmmmmmmm brittle....) and a week's worth of NPR podcasts up on which to catch.

I also have plenty of snacks... oh wait... I need to fast for 12 hours to have blood drawn tomorrow... dammit!

Ok- late night with no food... this might be for the best... I can do it. Just think of Santa. Just think of Santa. Just think of Santa.

*****

I guess instead of eating I'll just look at all the pretty yarn I purchased this week. I freaking love yarn stores. My guess at this is that I'm an attention whore and LYS owners in suburbia are always shocked when a guy walks into their store and commence their inquiry into everything about me. Y-Chromosome discount? No?


The rust Blue Sky Alpaca skinny cotton and the brown tweed Inca alpaca classic will become socks and the black and gray Rowan big wool is to become the 14 pattern on ravelry... time to pick just the right buttons... perhaps the singing Santa's button will 'fall off the truck' as my Italian relatives would say *wink*

2 comments:

  1. <3 Rowan.

    14 is hot. I just looked it up. I bought some soft chunky twinkle today at my LYS to make another Fisherman's Wife Scarf-or a Breckenridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love the toggles on the breckenridge!

    ReplyDelete