Saturday, December 12, 2009

Jesus Christ and LYS

I’m rocking the unemployment underemployment beard. With this comes a small pile of dirty mugs in my bedroom, a sleep schedule that would make a college student feel guilty, and more time than money. This led me to the interesting equation of finding a balance between a need to feel productive, have some sort of creative outlet, and save money all at the same time. This is why I began knitting again.

While knitting is not any difference in cost than other artistic avenues I could have taken, the finished product is much more comfortable than trying to wear my new oil pastel piece as a scarf. In this economy, I would say I’m doing an okay job looking for inexpensive, but knitable yarn. I do maintain a healthy level of uppitance in selection that allows me to still avoid synthetics- “absolute fiber swill” and anything ugly- “I would rather discuss Tiger Woods than be caught with that on my needles”

The problem that comes with knitting is the inclusion of web2.0 into the culture of the needle. I have been sucked into scouring the Norfolk Public Library page for checkoutable fodder. I have stumbled upon many knitblogs and online knitzines. There's even a facebook-type site for knitters called Ravelry. Without hesitation I joined. Not only am I spending non-working time knitting, I'm spending it thinking and clicking about knitting.

What this really means: I need a freaking full-time job.




1 comment:

  1. I read this and an experience that I had at Joann fabrics the other day instantly came to mind. Imagine a tall burly looking early-mid twenties man, wearing a red muscle shirt (although undeserving of the name) and some pretty neglected looking cargo shorts. Now imagine a knitted cap of white, red, blue and maybe orange, complete with a little pom on top. He has a smaller friend with him wearing a similar hat. He is in line carrying three skeins of red heart yarn, which he carries proudly. He talks to the bewildered woman in front of him about his knitting endeavors and definitely looks ready to start some christmas presents.

    Moral of the story: I love Boulder...

    ReplyDelete