Monday, August 30, 2010

Fall back in love with me for Fall

To my half dozens of readers, I apologize for the harsh harsh spring and summer without any updates from me. Things in my employed life became too real too fast and after work, spinning, and triathloning- I just didn't have it in me to Bequeath Longings Of Glory, or more vulgarly, "blog."

Let me just let you know that I'm so jazzed about year 2 out of college. I'm still rocking my job as a childrens programmer and the health benefits are about to kick in. I'm putting more loops in yarn than the Republican party is putting loops in legislation. I'm days away from investing in my first spinning wheel. I've made it through 2 triathlons, and have one more to finish my inaugural season in three weeks. I'm still dating that guy who laughs at 80% of my jokes, which is 30% more than required for my own enjoyment of company.

To catch you up, I'm knitting a sweater. I know I promised a photojournal, but let's be honest about the immediate gratification standards of our society. I could have posted teaser pics with close-ups of cables or seams. I know that each and every one of you just wants finished product and you want it now. In order to teach you a lesson, I'm not giving you either. You'll have to suffer through what I hope will be no more than a fortnight and a half until knitting is completed on it (we'll see how blocking and construction goes... as well as the eternal search for the perfect buttons.)

In the meantime, we all need to sit down and have a serious discussion about The Worsted Shire before the year ends. I have enough people interested to get this project off the ground. I have our resident quilter, wine-maker, vegetable-grower, bog-swimmer, welder, and goat-cheese-herber all lined up. I have started researching NEA grants for getting big-name fiber artists to do residencies. I'm committed to Cashmere, Pygora, and Nubian goats, alpacas, a couple sheep, chickens, and of course a guard llama. I have the plans (from a book of 1970's farm buildings) for goat barns.

I'm only missing two things from the plan: a location and money. This is where I can use you. Well... not "use you" in the manipulative sense... rather employ (without benefits or pay) your gifts and talents. I need you to start being nice to your rich great-aunts and great-uncles that never had kids of their own. If they have what the real estate world would call "acreage"- please introduce us so that I can dazzle them with my smile and baby blues.

I leave you with a photo to light the fire of fiberfarming under your tuchas (Happy Rosh Hoshannah! See: my love of Jewish holidays)

*Photo taken on camp field trip to Southwicks Zoo in Mendon, MA... I was in charge of the camera and of all the scores of animal exhibits, not one picture was taken outside of the goat petting zoo*

1 comment: